Wednesday, December 01, 2010


Yes, Yes, I know. I’ve been MIA for quite a while.

This past year has been tumultuous to say the least. After being home for X-mas and New Years in 2009 I went back to Lesotho with plans to stay for a third year. Unfortunately on the 29th of March I learned that the only Father I’ve ever known; my Uncle Bruce was in the hospital. His Lung Cancer had spread to his brain and things did not look good. I was on a plane home on March 31st and though I didn’t get to see him before he left I did get a chance to say to say goodbye. It was probably the hardest thing I’ve ever gone through but I’m glad I was able to be home with my Family. Bruce Allen Goronsky will be eternally missed.

It was a difficult decision but after a few weeks home I was back on the plane to Lesotho. While home I was looking to my family to answer the question as to whether or not I should stay in Lesotho for another year but I learned it was a decision I would have to make on my own. I knew if they asked me to stay home I would but if I regretted it I would have blamed them for that decision. Going back to Lesotho to make the decision was the right thing for me to do.

I returned to my COS (Close of Service) Conference and everyone celebrating the two years of Peace Corps Service we were about to complete…

After a couple of months back in Lesotho I realized I was trying to hold onto something that it was time to let go of. I’d worked on a number of programs; Youth Groups, Libraries, Life Skills Classes etc… and as the days marched on I began to realize that the amazing Community that I came to know and love was ready to try these projects out on their own. It was bitter sweet but I left the village of Nazareth to the Grand Opening of the Community Library that took the Community and I two years to build. It was a great way to say Good-Bye and was a wonderful thing to share with friends that came to visit from home.

Here I am at a Good-Bye celebration in my Basotho Blanket and Hat with Ntate Edgar; one of my favorite people in Lesotho.

Me with the Teachers at Morapeli High School

I had an amazing three years. Smartest thing I ever did... http://peacecorpsparisorbust.blogspot.com/2006/05/mayas-big-adventure.html

More Pics from Lesotho here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/graci0us/sets/72157624936166764/



1 comment:

Robinsen Clerk said...

It has been very useful, I was looking for something similar,greetings and thanks.