Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Maya's Big Adventure

“We are prone to judge success by the index of our salaries or the size of our automobiles, rather than by the quality of our service relationship to humanity.”
~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.~

“I was blessed with a birth and a death and I guess I’d just like some say in between.”
~A. DiFranco~

I guess that pretty well sums it up, but I shall elaborate…

I was given the life I have for a reason. I’m not entirely sure what that reason was but I don’t think it has anything to do with paperwork, so I’ve decided to seek my purpose elsewhere. I guess I just don’t want to look back on my life when I’m old and gray and say, “I wish I would have…”, so after a few years of it just being in the back of my mind and a few years of it being all I could think and read about; I’ve decided to join the Peace Corps.

I’ve gotten a lot of different responses to this decision from friends and family. From my friend Lonny’s “What??? Are you nuts?!” to my Grandmother’s simple, “I love you and I’ll pray for you.” So, who really knows? This may be the smartest things I’ve every done; or it may be the stupidest. But either way; I’ll never have to look back and say, “I wish I would have…”

And to top it all off; for good measure I’ve gotten a job in FRANCE (my favorite place in the world, next to San Francisco, CA), teaching English. This will all be before I leave for the Peace Corps. I’ll be in France until mid-December and should be leaving for the Peace Corps sometime in March 2007.

I will use this Blog to tell of my adventures. Enjoy!

~Maya :-)

4 comments:

Jennifer Bullock OwYoung said...

Girlie, I admire your determination and accomplishments! You're doing something immensely brave and wonderfully generous to those in need. Good luck and may your adventure be grand!

Maya said...

awwww; thanks, Red!!

Iris said...

Are you there yet.

Maya said...

i am!!