Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Proud to be an American

I've been anticipating this election for years now. I was invited by the U.S. Ambassador to Lesotho to an election party. Now of course in my head an election party consists of a bunch of people sitting around a television for a few hours monitoring the election results. This however was a different situation. I and a few other Volunteers arrived to find hundreds of people at the home of the Ambassador. We were served drinks and made to mingle...and if you know me you know this is one of my least favorite things to do. Ask Diane; it was like pulling teeth making me mingle when I was helping her out in the Judges race.

So I spent a few hours standing around wishing I were in America with Family and Friends watching the election. The party eventually came to an end and about 5 of us decided to stay up for the rest of the night. You may have seen me online. I did however fall asleep around 2:30 but was pleasantly surprised when I woke up at 4:00am to find Obama was coming into a landslide victory.

I still can't believe it. The United States President is Barack Obama. I can't imagine the home I will return to in 2 years time; after the Peace Corps. I know change will come slowly and I hope the rest of the world takes to heart the words that Obama spoke in his Victory Speech; that this is just the beginning and change will NOT happen over night. I hope he is given the time to make that change to and become; like he said; the President to all; even those that did not vote for him.

I am so Proud to be an American. I'm so Proud to be an African American. I'm just so PROUD!

No comments: