Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Swearing In and the last few weeks...

So, we swear in in just a couple of hours. I'm feeling ready to get this show on the road. I'm excited about my village and the work I'll be doing there.

To catch up on a few things...."The Great Pants Rebellion" as I like to call it happened the week before we left our training villages. A group of us decided that we would take a hike to another training village to meet some of the other volunteers and innocently enough we thought we could wear jeans. As I and another volunteer were leaving my house we ran into a trainer who was less than please with the fact that we were not wearing skirts. At this point I was fed up with the situation. It's frickin cold here and wearing a skirt is not something I like doing; even back home. I refused to put on a skirt and walked away. My friend; not being as abrupt as I decided she'd at least tell the trainer that she would put a skirt on later. We weren't the only ones that decided to wear skirts that day. Once we got to the other village a few stragglers showed up in their skirt and told us that the trainer had marched them back to their homes and made them put on skirts before they could leave.

It was sooo blown out of proportion. I just have to say; the women in America have it easy when it comes to this sort of thing. Mind you when I first started writing this blog I was a lot more excitedly angry about the situation. We had an end of training interview with our Country Director and Assistant Country Director yesterday and I completely forgot about it. Oh the drama.

We took our language tests a couple of days and everyone passed. I didn't pass in Kenya so that's saying something about this crazy Sesotho language. It did seem a bit easier to me.

I went to site visit and got a new name...I don't like though...they call me Mafusi...I think that's how you spell it. I have about 7 siblings and the last born were twins so Mafusi means after the twins...I like Amohelang better.

I'm off to swear in and hopefully will be able to post some pictures later today. I know I've been promising that for some time now but it will happen one of these days. I hope everyone is doing well. I'll write again soon.

Love,

Maya

1 comment:

Denny said...

As a military brat, we moved around a bit and I remember the variety of cultural compromise demands that were a pain at the time - interestingly enough, years later, those turned out to be some of the fondest memories. Strange how our memories can play tricks on us ... or maybe it's just old age crap setting in! I admire all of you for the things you are willing to do (not do) to make yourselves more accepted and effective. Congrats on getting through to where you are at this point and, for the record, I am extremely jelous of what you are doing! enjoy the journey!
Denny Kelly (Meg's Pop)