Saturday, June 21, 2008

Thoughts from Amohelang...

Whoever had the idea of a tin roof should be shot. I'm typing this blog to the VERY LOUD sound of hail falling on the tin roof above me. I'm also noticing that all of the places that the roof leaks are conveniently located around the bed and not over the bed. That's nice.

I've been in the training village for about a week now and despite my earlier complaining; it's been a really amazing experience. My host family is awesome. I have two host sisters (ausi or bo-ausi for the plural); one is 15 named Lindy and the other 9 named Andile. Lindy has helped me out so much with the whole language barrier thing and despite what she thinks speaks nearly perfect English. My host Mom or 'M'e (May) is great as well. She cooks things a little on the salty side but other than that is awesome. Starting tomorrow we'll be cooking for ourselves so that will be nice. I think it amuses my 'M'e that I look like her but can't speak the language. I also have a few brothers (abuti or bo-abuti) that I rarely see. One is 12 and seems to pop up every now and again but the others are either out tending to the livestock or away at college. So; I haven't really met them.

This culture is definitely a lot different from the Kenyan one that I got use to. Women; although they still get the short end of the stick culture wise seem to be the ones that get the educations. Men are relied on to tend to livestock at a pretty young age and yes the women are expected to stay home and take care of the kids, clean the house etc... but the young girls get to go to school more often than not and have an opportunity to attend college and make something of themselves. It's pretty interesting; especially when I compare it to the experience that I had in Kenya where women weren't educated because “it is a waist of money to pay for an education for someone who is going to be married off to another family.” as I was told.

They focus a lot more on the language here in training than they did in Kenya. Which is definitely a good thing with all the clicks and pops they got going on. My new Sesotho name is Amohelang (AAMOOHAYLANG) which I believe means “we are greatful/thankful to receive” and I'm told it is a very special name by all who greet me.

In about a week or so we will be doing a site visit to a current PCV's site for a few days just to see what they do and how things work. There are several field trips planned for us to go build key-hole gardens (Lesotho's take on Kenya's sack garden; which I think is a way better idea; the key-hole; not the sack) and work with communities. I actually like the structure of the Lesotho training a lot better than Kenya. There is more hands on work. They don't just say hey you're going to do ABC and then send you off to your site they actually have you implement ABC before you leave.

Training is hard and it still sucks for the most part that I'm having to do it again; but I am learning some new things and the experience isn't terrible. I know that still sounds bad but that's the gist of it. I'm not terribly home sick but I would like a phone call every now and then! I sent out an email with my number. Also, here's a website you can go to to get pretty cheap calling cards...http://www.phonecardsmile.com/search/Lesotho/-.html.

I was going to attempt to load pictures onto my blog today but unfortunately forgot the cord that connects the camera to the computer... so that will have to wait until next time. I love you all and hope everything is going swell for all.

Love,

Amohelang

1 comment:

Louise Ure said...

Dear Amohelang,

What a beautiful name ... it sounds like a stretched out version of Maya, which is exactly what it is: Maya, stretched miles away.

I can't wait to see the pictures!