Saturday, June 14, 2008

Off to a new host family...

Tomorrow we leave for our host families in Lesotho and will be staying with them for the next 6 weeks. I'm excited about having my own little space. The training center here sleeps about 6 people to a room. And not a very big room at that. It's been kinda like being at camp for the last week; especially with the cold. I expected it to be cold all the time here since its winter but it's only cold in the mornings and at night; which definitely has it's ups and downs.

In our training villages; instead of having a room in the home of our host families; we actually have a house to ourselves on the compound of the family that's hosting us; where we will eventually be doing all the things we'd be doing at our site. I think this is a much better idea than what Kenya did because it forces the trainees to fend for themselves early on and make the mistakes in training that we had to make by ourselves in Kenya. Basically during our training time in Kenya everything was done for us so it was a lot harder to fend for ourselves when we went off to our own little villages.

For the most part; I'm seeing this as a nearly identical experience to the one I had in Kenya. I have noticed many similarities to Kenya here but the culture is somewhat different and I imagine that I will learn a lot of new things about this country and its people. I am looking foward to it now. It still gnaws at me sometimes that I'm having to do the training over BUT I did talk to the trainers and it looks like I will be able to help out in trainings in areas in which I don't need the training as well as work on language during times in which I can't assist but have had the training that the other volunteers are getting. That makes things not seem so bad. I'll let ya know how it actually turns out though.

We come back to Maseru about once a week; so I should be able to post at least that often. And by this time next week I will apparently have a new name; so I'll let you know what that will be. I hope everyone is doing well!!

-Maya :-)

No comments: